Welcome to Harassment Report
If you have experienced or witnessed harassment/hate incident(s), you can make a report (see below) to Coventry University.
This online reporting system is for non-emergency reports. If you are in immediate danger contact:
- The Police: If you are in immediate danger, call the Police on 999.
- The Protection Service(Coventry campus): If you don’t feel safe, try to find somewhere you feel more secure and call the Protection Service on 024 7765 8555(5555 on internal phones). The Protection Service is a dedicated crime prevention team based on campus. The team has a 24/7 response to incidents on campus or in University-owned accommodation and they staff a campus-wide CCTV surveillance system.1
All reports are held in confidence: for more information see below.
You can choose to:
- Make an anonymous report: If a report is made anonymously, the information may trigger an investigation and may be used for investigative purposes and subsequent processes, but due to the anonymity of the report, and inability to obtain further information, the investigation may be limited.
- Make a logged report: This is a non-anonymous report with no further action needed or requested. You may be contacted for more information and the information may trigger an investigation and be used for investigative purposes and subsequent processes.
- Request an appointment with an advisor:
- If you are a student and request to speak with an advisor, a case manager/worker will contact you during normal working hours (9.00am - 5.00pm) Monday to Friday. The role of the case manager/worker is to assist you in understanding the various options available and to provide support in making a decision - for example, referral to an appropriate advisor for support and/or help to manage any subsequent actions taken.
- If you are a member of staff and request to speak with an advisor, a case manager/worker will contact you during normal working hours (9.00am - 5.00pm) Monday to Friday, and you will be given the choice of being referred to a Dignity and Respect Advisor or a People Advisor.
What type of incident(s) can be reported?
We encourage reports of harassment/hate incident(s) that may, or may not, be a crime and appear to be motivated by hostility or prejudice, based on a person's disability (or perceived disability); race (or perceived race); religion (or perceived religion); sexual orientation (or perceived sexual orientation), transgender identity (or perceived transgender identity), or any other reason, such as harassment based on sex2.
We respect your privacy. Any information you disclose is confidential between you and the University Group. Ordinarily, we do not pass on personal information about you to any third party. However, there are certain exceptions:
- Where you give us express consent to disclose information (for example, if you would like a case manager/worker's support in liaising with third parties).
- Where, in order to support you, we need to contact your GP or involve other welfare services. It is our practice to discuss any such contact with you in advance where appropriate.
- Where the law requires us to disclose information.
- Where you give us information that leads us to believe that you, or someone else, is at serious and/or imminent risk of harm, then we may disclose information to minimise this risk.
Other sources of help
We recognise that experiencing or witnessing harassment/hate incident(s) or can be upsetting. Just before you complete your report, you will be presented with a list of other sources of help that you may wish to access.
1 A similar protection service is not yet available on non-Coventry campuses at the time of writing
2 Adapted from https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/hco/hate-crime/what-is-hate-crime/
If you make an anonymous report, the information may trigger an investigation and may be used for investigative purposes and subsequent processes, but due to the anonymity of the report, and inability to obtain further information, the investigation may be limited.
If you have any comments about this online reporting system, please contact email@example.com.